Friday, July 25, 2014

Did I really just quit my job?

I've been my own boss for about 4 weeks now.

I'm starting to get used to my demanding ways,
never being satisfied with the results, giving no recognition for a job well done, and the disregard for my personal life.

As Pete Townsend penned - "meet the new boss,
same as the old boss"

Well, it's not quite like that!! I have to say that I am honestly enjoying the first month of working for myself. I do, however, feel like there is more pressure to perform and certainly more hanging in the balance.

It's probably too early to give much insight, but I have discovered that setting up a routine has helped keep me on track so far.

Being a creature of habit, I knew in advance that I needed to create what  a "work day" would look like, before I began. It seemed it could be a little too easy to get distracted and find myself doing things other than working.

I have two objectives - making and selling my products and growing my DIY website.

With that in mind I have split my day up so the mornings are dedicated to writing new content and maintaining the web site, managing some of the social media (I took a Pinterest course that was very good and have started to work on expanding my business using it), as well as some of the administrative things related to selling my frames.

The afternoons are strictly dedicated to the workshop and creating products to sell.

I don't know how long I will be able to go before this model is disrupted, but I am expecting changes and am ready to adapt as needed. I'm not thinking about picking up any part-time work - yet. I am somewhat comfortable with what I have saved and am happy to say that the month of July has been better than expected as far as frame sales and revenue from the web site.

Next month, I will detail some of the things I did prior to leaving my old job to prepare mentally and financially for this adventure. In the mean time I recommend these two books to anyone who is on the fence about their current job:

The Icarus Deception: How High Will You Fly?



The Dip: A Little Book That Teaches You When to Quit (and When to Stick)

Have a great month!!
Al


1 comment:

  1. Looks like you're off to a good start Al! Glad that you are able to enjoy your new "work style". While it's rather daunting to make such a leap, I imagine it is exciting at the same time.

    Best of luck. Looking forward to your future updates!

    ReplyDelete