Monday, June 17, 2013

Monday Interview with Erin from Kitch Towels.



 One week off from interviews and I am back with some good ones lined up!! 
This week Erin from  Kitch Towels shares a little about herself and her etsy shop! 


 Please tell us a bit about yourself?
- My husband & I have both been performing in bands for years ... He plays guitar, I play guitar & sing. (In fact, that's how we met forever ago!)
Anyway, we decided to stop paying someone else to screen print our band tees since Tim (my hubby) knew how to do it. We borrowed $200 from my mom (I mean, come on - we were both in bands so the $$ wasn't exactly flowing!) & bought some used screen printing gear.
That was over 10 years ago, and we have been successfully self employed now for the same :)
I found Etsy & fell in LOVE with it in 2010, opened my shop & became a work from home mommy, while Tim still runs the shop (Steamroller) in dowtown Buffalo, NY.

What do you create? How long have you been working on your craft/art?
- I screen print flour sack tea towels & sew retro style half aprons

How did you come up with your store name?
- My designs are influenced by vintage & retro aesthetics with a modern twist - so I took the word "Kitsch" and spelled it wrong to have the first part of the word kitchen in it - KITCH :)


How does Buffalo influence your work?
- I think the biggest influence is the change of seasons for me - I am really inspired by our wide range of weather - I love it!

 What inspires you?
- EVERYTHING! I love tweaking vintage design with new and fresh modern colors - mixing old with new is my favorite style.

What is the best thing about having a etsy shop?
- I am a stay at home Mommy, so creating my own schedule is the biggest perk for me, but being free to create in my own home is essential to my creativity. I have my own cozy space to create in without the constraints of someone telling me what I can and can't do.

 Do you do this full or part time? If full time how did you get yourself to that status?
- Full time - this is my 3rd year on Etsy and it's only recently become full time...I should also say that, although it's full time for me, it's our family's *second* income. I'm still trying to unlock the "booming business" key to Etsy. As far as I can tell at this point, it's a combination of spending money on the Etsy search ads, amzing photos of your product, and superior customer service. Also - be prepared for the holiday season - It's only June and I'm already working on Halloween & Christmas ideas!

 How do you promote your work to the world?
- I use Etsy Search Ads, as well as social media - Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest



What is the hardest part about selling online?
- Trying to figure out how to reach the most people possible is tricky - a lot of trial & error


 Where can your work be found locally?
- Cats Like Us, Delish, Burchfield Penny

Do you have any up and coming art shows/craft shows that you would like us to know about?
- This holiday season I hope to do the following events: Quaker Atrs Festival, Cats Like Us trunk show, PUNS (Webster), Queen City Market, and Women In Arts

Do you have any advise or suggestions for new sellers to etsy?
- Network as much as possible with other sellers, take GREAT PICTURES, and try the search ads!

 Have you had any formal training in what you do?
- Nope :)

Do you teach any classes in what you do?

- No

What do you do when your creatively blocked?
- I usually search vintage travel posters and photos online - but mostly, I wait. It always comes eventually, and forcing it is a sure way to create something that you'll hate in the end.








Where can you be found online?

Etsy shop:
etsy.com/shop/kitchtowels

Facebook: www.facebook.com/pages/Kitch/153191458041202

Twitter:
twitter.com/kitchtowels

Pinterest:
pinterest.com/kitchtowels/kitch-products/

   Thanks Erin  for sharing your experience with us! If you are from Buffalo and would like to be featured on the blog please contact me for more information!!

2 comments:

  1. I just put it on Facebook.. smile.. and of course mentioned I can top these for hanging towels.. lol.. I might be talking to her about a joint venture..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to "meet" you, Erin! My own "kitschen" is a mix of vintage and vintage-inspired stuff, so it's no wonder I love your work!

    ReplyDelete