Saturday, July 13, 2013

ART SHOWS 101: Survival Tips for Show Artists and Crafters, Vol. 17: Show Hospitality


When it comes right down to it, we do shows to make money. I can't think of one show artist who would choose a low sales show over a high sales shows because the promoter treated them well -- but it certainly is nice when you can combine the best of both worlds.

I'm at the Cain Park Arts Festival in Cleveland Heights this weekend, and I can not say enough good about the hospitality shown by the organizers. They are extremely organized and offer help above and beyond anything I have experienced in the past. I had help unloading my truck, setting up my tent, hanging my weights. They've served us decent coffee and good donuts, a light lunch during set up on Friday. They've checked on us repeatedly throughout the day -- booth sat -- asked "what can I do for you?". In fact, I think I heard the phrase "how can I help you" more yesterday than I have in 20 years of doing shows combined!

Yesterday's sales were okay -- nothing record breaking. But Fridays aren't known to be the best of sales days at many shows. There are still 2 more days to go and I'd better get out of the hotel and headed back to the show. I'll let you know how it goes.


Until next time -- keep creating!

Alison

https://www.facebook.com/ArtistAlisonEKurek

No comments:

Post a Comment