Monday, April 22, 2013

Monday Interview with Mehandi Mahal


Please tell us a bit about yourself?~
A Buffalo, NY Native, I am a self trained henna artist of 11 years and entreprenuer of 5 years.

What do you create? How long have you been working on your craft/art?~
I love the art of mehndi. I try to create each henna tattoo to be as unique and as beautiful and wonderful as each person who wears my artwork... I also create "Henna- inspired" canvases and clothing..... I dabble in jewelry fabrication. I am also a Certified Master Gardener; I love nature...


How did you come up with your store name?~
In an Epiphany... It just came to me one day.... MEHANDI {literally means Henna art or art of henna tattoos}... Pronounced Meh~ndi. MAHAL { Literally means Palace. like taj mahal}

How does Buffalo influence your work?~

Buffalo is awesome, I just feed off of Buffalo's energy.... All the people I encounter are always so excited to watch me applying henna on somebody.... I always have soo much fun interacting!

What inspires you?~
Old and new Bollywood movies...lol! and Nature.... Also, I love fashion, so I try to incorporate my art into what I'm wearing as far as clothing goes....

What is the best thing about having a etsy shop?~

I can be creative and try new things and gauge on how well it does/or will do by the views and purchases made by existing / potential customers... It's very nice....

How do you promote your work to the world?~
Mostly, through FB, Word of Mouth of previous clients/customers....

What is the hardest part about selling online?~
People can't touch the object.... That's tough...

Where can your work be found locally?~
I will be at the Saturday Artisan Market at the Central Wharf this summer as well as the Music Is Art this fall... I also do smaller events here and there... I usually post my events on My FB Walls/Pages. I just Recently participated in Buffalo Art Studio's TRIMAINIA... soo much fun!!

Do you have any up and coming art shows/craft shows that you would like us to know about?~
I will be at the Saturday Artisan Market at the Central Wharf this summer as well as the Music Is Art this fall... I also do smaller events here and there... I usually post my events on My FB Walls/Pages.

Do you have any advise or suggestions for new sellers to etsy?~
Don't get discouraged, be open to suggestions.... Have friends and family "shop" your store periodically and get their feedback..



Do you do this full or part time? If full time how did you get yourself to that status?~
Part Time. The nicer weather is definitely needed for most events in Buffalo... But we're getting more inside venues and spaces available....every year a few more... I'm saving up for a Studio...

Have you had any formal training in what you do?~
No.
Do you teach any classes in what you do?~
I plan to in the fall/winter season.

Where do your ideas come from?~
My Muse.

What do you do when your creatively blocked?~

yoga.... I do yoga everyday to keep my heart open.

Where can you be found online? ~
www.facebook.com/MehandiMahal?ref=tn_tnmn

www.facebook.com/MehandiMahaltoo?fref=ts

www.facebook.com/pages/Mehandi-Mahals-FRESH-HennaMehndi-Paste/2157749984...

www.facebook.com/pages/MEHANDI-MAHAL/335504371623

www.etsy.com/shop/MEHANDIMAHALHenna






12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Wow! Wonder Strumpet, Thank you for being so kind!! And Also Thank you VERY MUCH to Nicole for the beautiful article & spread! xoxox

      Delete
  2. Very beautiful patterns. I was a textile artist for years and that's what your designs remind me of.Body textile. I now work with glass and mirrors and I do round mandala like pieces. Like yoga, don't you find working the patterns meditative? Same with gardening. I wish I could have seen your school notebook doodles. they must have been amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Wendy Thank you!! & yes I do find it very meditative... I kinda "get into the zone"...lol! ♥♥

      Delete
  3. When I first saw those pics in the blog I literally said out loud "wow'! That is amazing work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. ♥♥♥ Thank you & yes this blog is written sooo wonderfully!!!

      Delete
  5. thanks so much for letting us get to know a little more about you and your lovely work!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much!! ♥♥ It was such a lovely interview and I was touched that I was invited to do so!

      Delete
  6. I love the beauty and detail in your work, and it was great to learn more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. omgosh!!! Thank you so very much!! I just adore henna and everything about it!!♥♥

      Delete