Monday, April 29, 2013

Monday Interview with Karin Lorenc Pottery!

this week Karin joins us to shares her wonderful pottery! 



Please tell us a bit about yourself?
I live in Niagara Falls NY with my husband and 2 cats. I love nature, cheese, world music, and camping. I have a rather goofy personality and this tends to show itself in my work every now and again.

What do you create? How long have you been working on your craft/art?
I make functional stoneware pottery. Bright colors have become most of my glaze palette. White exteriors tie my pieces together so that a collection can consist of a rainbow of color. I've been making pottery ever since I first got my hands on a chuck of clay as a child. I just had my 5 year Etsyversary for my pottery shop in April.

What inspires you?
I'm inspired by nature and my minimalistic personality. Natural materials have always been my favorites to work with. Creating with a chunk of earth is a perfect fit for me. I keep most of my forms rather simple and functional. I like each of my pieces to serve a purpose so that they will be used in an everyday setting.

What is the best thing about having a etsy shop?
Being your own boss is pretty great. Waking up to a snowy WNY day and being able to stay in to work in my home studio isn't terrible either!

How do you promote your work to the world?

I have Facebook and Twitter pages for my pottery. Keeping the Etsy store fresh with new items is important too.

What is the hardest part about selling online?
Taking good pictures can be a challenge. Unfortunately my creative interests don't extend to photography, so this part is a bit of a chore for me. 

 
Where can your work be found locally?
 I do the occasional craft fair, and I have some work at Thin Ice on Elmwood.

Do you have any advice or suggestions for new sellers to etsy?
Forget about trends and make what you love! Keep the creative process fun for yourself. That's why you're doing this in the first place right?

Do you do this full or part time? If full time how did you get yourself to that status?
My pottery making has become full time. At first I worked part time jobs along with it, but as I became more established I shifted my focus. I am very thankful to be able to fill my days doing what I love!


What do you do when you're creatively blocked?
I walk a lot. Fortunately I'm within walking distance of the Niagara gorge. A good hike by the water seems to fix just about everything.

Where can you be found online?
shop: http://www.karinlorenc.etsy.com/
fan page: https://www.facebook.com/KarinLorencPottery
www.KarinLorenc.etsy.com
www.facebook.com/KarinLorencPottery


4 comments:

  1. Beautiful work Karen. I love your glazes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello fellow potter! Your work is lovely...I hope to see your work in person soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your colorful pottery, Karin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a big fan of Karen's pottery and a proud owner of one of her zombie mugs!! thanks for letting me interview you Karin!

    ReplyDelete