Monday, May 13, 2013

Monday Interview with Buffalovely


 This week we have Amanda from Buffalovely!


Please tell us a bit about yourself?
My name is Amanda Valentine and I was born and raised in North Buffalo. I originally went to school at SUNY Fredonia and graduated with a degree in Early Childhood Education. After three years in the classroom, I discovered that I would much rather be doing my own thing. I started making anything that came to mind (felt board sets, hair bows, etc) and stumbled upon the idea to create pillows that were funky and unique. It didn't hurt that I had just purchased my first house and wanted decor that wasn't what everyone else had. I figured others would feel the same so I decided to give it a shot. Buffalovely was born.
 
What do you create? How long have you been working on your craft/art?
I create pillows that celebrate the city of Buffalo. My most popular product being my street sign pillows. All are customizable and made completely by hand. I have been building my business for about 2 1/2 years now and have been having a blast getting it off the ground. 
How did you come up with your store name?
I used the word Buffalovely a few times before, just in passing, and when it came time to decide on a name for my Buffalo-based business I knew that had to be it. I'm so in love with it now, and I feel so lucky that no one else thought of it first!


How does Buffalo influence your work?
My love for my hometown inspires all of the work that I do for Buffalovely. I have found that there is so much in our city to celebrate. I love creating work that people can put in their homes to reflect their love of Buffalo, whether they are local or an ex-pat. Our love of Buffalo endures.

What is the best thing about having a etsy shop?
I wouldn't be able to do what I've been doing with Buffalovely without Etsy. Having an outlet where you can showcase your work so inexpensively has been invaluable to someone just starting out. Being able to connect with other artists and gain advice from their experiences has made my business what it is today, and I am so grateful for that.
 

 Where can your work be found locally?
My work can be found at Thin Ice on Elmwood Ave, Home Roots in Cheektowaga, Reeds Jenss (both locations), Village Artisans, Homeward Bound, Tis the Season Gift Shop, Buffalo Adore in South Buffalo and Floral Explorations on Hertel Ave.

Do you have any up and coming art shows/craft shows that you would like us to know about?
I will be participating in a Mom and Pop Show at the Tri-Main Center from 10-4, at the Gay Pride parade the first weekend in June and the Southgate Plaza craft show at the end of June. Other shows I have applied to are still up in the air, but I'm excited for the Summer season and Christmas to come!


 Do you have any advise or suggestions for new sellers to etsy?
Ask for advice from those who have the experience. The community on Etsy has been so warm and welcoming, and I have gained so much knowledge from so many sellers that have been willing to help me.

do you do this full or part time? If full time how did you get yourself to that status?
I do some work on the side, but Buffalovely is my full-time focus. I am always working on making it grow in any way I can and am always thinking of new products that I think might be popular.
 Have you had any formal training in what you do?
None. Up until 2 1/2 years ago, I had never sewn a thing in my life! I decided that if I wanted to make pillows, I better learn to sew. Youtube has been a huge asset for me. There are endless videos on any topic or technique and have taught me all I have needed to know along the way.

 Where can you be found online?
I can be found on Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter, all under Buffalovely.
 You can find me on Etsy at www.etsy.com/shop

Thanks Amanda for sharing your experience with us!
If you are from Buffalo and would like to be featured on the blog please contact me for more information!!

2 comments:

  1. Great info Amanda! I love that you didn't sew but learned how to do it using You Tube. Good work!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love the street signs! What a fantastic gift for current Buffalonians or people who have moved out of the area.

    ReplyDelete