Monday, July 1, 2013

Monday Interview with Angela's Illustrations.

this week Angela from Angela's Illustrations joins us to share her work!


What do you create? How long have you been working on your craft/art?
I like to draw and paint. I use cardboard on occasion but in my store I sell original acrylic paintings on canvas and giclee prints of my work. I've been making art for about 9 years now.

How did you come up with your store name?
I named my business "Angela's Illustrations" because I just figured it would be catchy, and it's just easier for me to remember then something more complex haha.


How does Buffalo influence your work?
Buffalo has two popular art museums, the Albright Knox Art Gallery and right across it is the Burchfield-Penny Art Center. So I feel pretty spoiled. I'm very impressed when I see artists make such detailed and realistic works online. But when I first saw Charles Burchfield's abstract water color paintings in person, I felt so much. Both galleries are amazing, full of modern and abstract art locally and internationally. Having them here is an amazing benefit for the community. They are also reminders to me that art is much more than just realism. That makes me feel better because realism (so far) is not one of my strengths.

What inspires you?
I'm inspired by many things like animals, people, art, music, the internet, and other artists. Lately I've been inspired by my dreams. I have plans to recreate the scenes of specific dreams I've had because I found them fascinating, complex, and extremely meaningful.

What is the best thing about having a etsy shop?
I really enjoy having an etsy shop because its another way for me to share my work with other people around the world. Its great having the opportunity to sell my work on a lovely, safe, and helpful site.

How do you promote your work to the world?
I promote my work by showing it at festivals, at art galleries, and by using word of mouth. At art events in Western New York I have a sign saying I own an etsy site and I hand out business cards with a link to my shop. I tell everyone I meet to check out my store online. My friends and family help too by telling their friends.

What is the hardest part about selling online?
I guess something I've noticed about selling work online is that your work isn't seen in person and photos may only give some of my work so much justice.

Where can your work be found locally?
I'm a member of the 464 gallery in Buffalo and show my artwork there often. Besides that I'm always looking into festivals and calls for work around the city of Buffalo so your sure to find me!

Do you have any up and coming art shows/craft shows that you would like us to know about?
I will be showing my work at the Elmwood art festival this summer on August 24th and 25th. I'm very excited about it because it will be my first time there and I've always wanted to be a part of it.

Do you have any advise or suggestions for new sellers to etsy?
Take the best photos you can of your work. If your not able to do it yourself find someone who can help! It makes a difference. Also don't expect sales or things to happen right away. Do your best to share and advertise it.


Do you do this full or part time? If full time how did you get yourself to that status?
Currently I sell and show my work part time.

Have you had any formal training in what you do?
Well, I took a beginners class in painting, drawing, lettering, design, and modeling. That's pretty much it... haha.

Do you teach any classes in what you do?
I don't, but I'm very interested in art therapy and if I did teach a class I would love to help others tap into their imagination and feelings while creating art.


What do you do when your creatively blocked?
When I have a creative block in one medium I tend to jump to another to keep the energy flowing. If I can't paint, I start to sing. If I can't sing, I write, and so on. Sometimes people just need a break too and that's ok.

Where can you be found online?

https://www.facebook.com/AngelaWisniewskiIllustrations

https://www.etsy.com/shop/AngelasIllustrations

http://www.bluecanvas.com/pangie

No comments:

Post a Comment