Monday, June 24, 2013

Monday Interview with Fab Works!

 This week Ruth Fabiano from Fab Works joins us to share more about her amazing hand painted boxes!

Please tell us a bit about yourself?
My name is Ruth Fabiano. Im a self-taught artist who works mainly in woodworking, painting and illustration. Always learning and expanding, Ive been artistic my whole life. I was born and raised in Buffalo, New York.





How did you come up with your store name?
Well I figured "Fab" is in my name so it should be in the store as well!

How does Buffalo influence your work?
I like the fact that I grew up with a lot of different kinds of people, and also that Buffalo is a humble region that sort of lets you develop artistically without a ton of pressure. I know a lot of bigger cities might have you hurry up and succeed.



What inspires you?
Everything. I know that's cliché, but its true, lol. Mainly though it seems to be the books I read and also seeing work from other artists is huge for inspiration.

What is the best thing about having a etsy shop?
The exposure to people from all over the world. I think I have customers in 7 or 8 countries now, which is amazing.

How do you promote your work to the world?
Im on DeviantArt, Facebook and Etsy. I give out my cards whenever I can, but I think word of mouth is the best Ive had.

What is the hardest part about selling online?
Competition. While the internet is AMAZING for self promoting yourself as an artist, its sometimes hard to get noticed. Luckily I have some unique products and found a "niche".




Where can your work be found locally?
Buffalo Adore mainly.

Do you have any advise or suggestions for new sellers to etsy?
Patience. I didn't sell anything for the better part of a year.

Do you do this full or part time? If full time how did you get yourself to that status?
Full time. I have a bunch of degrees, but ironically no other job has been as stable as this one.

Where do your ideas come from? Everywhere.




What do you do when your creatively blocked? Sometimes I do something totally different. Go back to doing some mixed media or something I wasn't paid for. Or force myself to do a project that I hadn't finished or worked on in a while.

Where can you be found online?
www.facebook.com/pages/Fab-WorksRuth-E-Fabiano/178806998844016
rfabiano.deviantart.com/


Thanks Ruth for sharing your experience with us!
If you are from Buffalo and would like to be featured on the blog please contact me for more information!!

1 comment: